November 04, 2023

Finally returning home from Kato 3 E235 units

I'm finally getting my E235 end units and motor car returned to me today. They've been with Kato since April 27 2023. Yup almost a year which seems like forever in dog years. I guess I should explain why they were sent to Kato in the first place 


I wanted directional lighting in my trains and I run dcc that means I need a decoder. I needed two FL12 decoders and they're pretty easy to install and get working but mine did not work. I went online and asked questions about the installation of the decoders but nothing worked. 


I called Kato and explained the situation and they said send in the end cars as well as the motor car I guess so they could be programmed as a group. No biggie I sent them in with the knowledge of the long wait times for repairs even the website says there's a 6-8 month wait. 


So Kato USA couldn't fix the problem possibly because they didn't have the right parts because they are Kato USA. Off my trains go to Kato Japan for some undetermined amount of time and returned because Kato Japan couldn't fix my trains either. I'm thinking Kato Japan couldn't fix my trains either come on give me a break.


Personally I don't think my trains left the USA because it doesn't make sense that Kato Japan doesn't have a part for one of their more popular trains. I'm sure the part needed is a common part in their line of trains so it doesn't add up. 


I have to say Kato USA & Japan both make great products but their customer service is lacking. If you can fix something without sending to Kato USA do it and don't send it in. 


To Kato USA's credit they did replace the circuit boards in the end units 

No comments:

Post a Comment