November 28, 2009

To Commute or not to commute, that is the question.

Well you probably know that Im interested in putting together a commuter train, Im looking at the Series E231-500 Yamanote line that runs around Tokyo. Im pretty tired of Shinkasen's right now and think I have a varied collection of different kinds. The Yamanote E231-500 is a pretty recognizable train, its silver with a green stripe and a white face.

One thing that has prevented me from getting a commuter set is the price. The basic set is $104, the "A" set is $86 & the "B" set is another $76. so were looking at $262.00 not including shipping from Japan. I may take a look on Yahoo Japan and see what is on there, hopefully I can score a used E231-500 on the cheap.


I have another dellima, Im not sure I want the Series E231 or the Joban line E531 the E531 is the newest in design in the "E" series so Im conflicted as what I should do.In the end I think Im going to wind up getting the E231 Yamanote line commuter basic set then get the "A" & "B" sets.


2 comments:

  1. I love my Kato E231-500. I got it back when it came in two sets, a 6-car basic set and a 5-car add-on (or was it the other way 'round?). If you can find them, the Kato 10-261 and 10-262 might be cheaper, but they are becoming rare, having been replaced by the three sets you grouse about in your post (same models, different packaging).

    The E531 is a cool one, too, with those double-decker green cars. The other difference is that the E531 is AC/DC, whereas the E231 is DC only (hence, the 5 which means dual-voltage, and the 2 which means DC only).

    (and, FWIW, it took me a while to figure this out: JR East numbers its models starting with the letter "E", I suppose to differentiate them from models in use by other JR branches. So the "E" just means that it's a model developed by/for JR East.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im really considering a E231-500 but like you said Don the E531 is a nice model as well. Thanks for pointing out the differences between the E231 and E531. Hopefully in a couple of weeks or so I'll pick the basic E231 and maybe the "A" set.

    ReplyDelete